- A 18-year-old Chinese girl was found by her sister dead in her bedroom
- She had suffered burns across her neck, hands and legs
- Her iPhone 4s was found broken beside her
- It is not known whether she was using an Apple phone charger or knock-off
A teenager was electrocuted and died in her sleep while she was charging her iPhone 4s.
The 18-year-old, who has not been named, died in Xinjiang, on July 24.
The deceased's sister said she smelt burning when she returned to their home and found her sister lying dead in her bedroom with burns across her body. A broken iPhone was next to her.
It is not clear if the woman was using an authentic Apple charger, or a cheap counterfeit version which have been linked to other fatalities.
Experts from the Forensic Science Association of China said the teenager had livor mortis across her neck, hands and leg, and concluded that she'd died from electrocution, the Shanghaiist reported.
The teeanger's sister said online that the phone had been purchased in Urumqi and the retailer was now discussing compensating the family.
In July last year Air Stewardess Ma Ailun, 23, was killed by an electric shock when she answered a call on her iPhone 5 while it was recharging on a knock-off charger.
Not long after a 30-year-old Beijing man fell into a coma following electric shock from an iPhone.
His family also blamed the charger, which was not an official Apple product.
Air Stewardess Ma Ailun, 23, was killed by an electric shock while answering her iPhone 5 while it was charging on a knock-off charger in July last year
The cases prompted Apple to offer to replace counterfeit or imperoperly designed charging devices.
Apple products sell out quickly in China and the demand has led to factories churning out fake iPhones, iPads and iPods.
In 2011, 22 fake Apple stores were uncovered in one Chinese city, Kunming, alone.